Make this cake as a tea-time treat.
Feel free to vary the presentation as we have done here, this time as a two-layer cake with the buttercream as filling.
- 1 single-cake package or 1/2 cup Wise Choice Cake-ability Baking Aid
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extractFor the Frosting
2 cups heavy cream
- Sweetener equivalent to 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 8-serving package or 1/2 cup Wise Choice Mousse Mix
Makes 1 8x4x2 1/2-inch loaf.
Chocolate Almond Cake
Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat loaf pan with non-stick spray.
1. Place a bowl of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. This helps to keep the cake moist.
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine Wise Choice Cake-ability Baking Aid, almond flour, cocoa, coffee, sweetener, salt and baking powder.
3. Add egg yolks, sour cream, oil and extracts, stirring to mix well.
4. In a glass or stainless steel bowl beat egg whites to soft peak stage. Fold into batter.
5. Turn into prepared loaf pan and bake until a tester comes out clean – 25-30 minutes.
6. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Unmold onto rack to finish cooling.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Makes enough to frost 1 large cake.
1. Combine the cream and sweetener in a mixing bowl, set mixer to HIGH and whip until cream is doubled in volume and forms soft peaks.
2. Add cocoa, salt, and Wise Choice Mousse Mix. With mixer on MEDIUM setting, mix until ingredients are combined and the mixture thickens in texture and reduces in size.
NOTE: You may want to prepare enough to frost a slice of cake as you go along. You can reduce the ingredients to 1/2 cup cream, sweetener equivalent to 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa, small pinch salt, and 2 tablespoons Wise Choice Mousse Mix.
Nutrition* for cake (per serving based on 16 servings, as calculated by Mastercook): 150 calories; 15g fat; 4g carbs (of which 2g dietary fiber); 4g protein.
Nutrition* for buttercream frosting (per serving based on 16 servings, as calculated by Mastercook): 120 calories; 10g fat; 4g carbs (of which 2g dietary fiber); 2g protein.
*based on no-calorie sweetener